About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Boy and His Cow

I have to say, I really didn’t expect Matt to walk in the door from the livestock show with tears in his eyes.  I knew he had grown attached to Pancake, his calf, but this took me a bit by surprise.

The moment the door opened I could tell something was wrong.  His eyes were swollen and red.  I was immediately concerned and asked him what was wrong.  All he could mutter before he broke into tears was “I miss my cow”. 

At first, I wasn’t sure if I was going to laugh or tear up myself.  Of course, I wound up in tears along with him.  Who could blame him though?  That little calf had a sweet disposition and every time he went to the barn to feed her she ran to him like a big black and white puppy.  Heck I’m going to miss her myself.  I felt so bad for the boy I even offered to buy her from the dairy that had loaned her to us.  Matt declined stating that she was where she needed to be.  Besides, we might even get lucky and get her back in October.

As for the livestock show, Matt didn’t place in showmanship but he did place 6th in state for his weight class.  Not too bad considering this is the very first time he has been in a livestock show.  He’s learned a lot and is already looking forward to trying it again.

I have to say; I think that has been a great experience for him.  What a great way for a kid to learn discipline and responsibility.  At first I was concerned that I would be the one who would wind up taking care of Pancake.  You know how it is, a kid will make all the promises in the world to get a new pet and then the parents are the ones who wind up caring for the new pet.  Matt really was true to his word on the calf project however.  He bottle fed her, cleaned her stall, trained her and overall did a great job.

Sure it was a bit tough to giver her up but I tend to think that he has gained an experience that most kids never get.

And I dare you to tell me these kids don't love their cows!





No comments:

Post a Comment