About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stuffed Shells


It’s time for the livestock show and Matt takes off for Perry, Georgia tomorrow after school with his calf Pancake in tow.  He won’t be back home until Saturday evening so I thought I would cook him a good home cooked meal.  Considering he will probably eat his weight in junk food over the next few days I thought it was a good idea.  I told him it was his choice.  “Whatever you want”, I said.

Me and my big mouth… 

He decided that he would really like some stuffed shells like mom used to make, as he put it.  After I choked back my desire to convince him that he might like something else, I simply said, “Great, but I can’t promise you they’ll be like mom’s”.  He said that was okay since I was a pretty good cook he figured they might even be better.  I took that as a challenge…

Of course, I had no idea how to make stuffed shells.  That’s what Google is for though.  And how hard could it be, right?  I found what looked to be a good recipe and during lunch stopped by the grocery store to pick up everything.

Coming home with all the required ingredients, I dove right into it.  It wasn’t that difficult but did have several steps and took a couple of hours.  It took me until nearly 7:00 to even get it in the oven.  That might not sound like late to most folk but I usually like to have dinner on the table by at least 6:00.  Anyhow, I tossed it in the oven after snapping the attached picture and threw together a Caesar Salad.

It turned out really good.  Matt said that it was the best meal we have had all year and that they were better than mom’s stuffed shells.  I must admit that they were pretty good.  The best part to me, however, was the fact that I had another whole 9 X 13 dish full of them that I am putting into the freezer to pull out for another meal in a couple of weeks.  That really makes it worth all the work.

It’s going to be awfully quiet around here the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment