About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tractors, Guns & Fishing Rods

Three days into spring break and the weather has been just fantastic.  I have succeeded in playing a bit more than I have worked this weekend.  I feel my batteries recharging and am reaping the benefit of more than five to six hours of sleep each night.  In fact, I have surprised myself in that I have not been automatically waking up at four or five each morning.

I had something good happen on Friday...  My housekeeper, Janet, returned after about a three month hiatus.  While I don’t mind housekeeping Janet had spoiled me rotten.  Not to mention, I think she tends to do a better job of cleaning than I do.  I think that might be because I attack it with the mind set that I want to finish it as fast as I can so I can move on to the next task.  And, of course, while I don’t mind it I really don’t like it much.  Anyhow, I was thrilled to have her back and very happy to have the extra help.  In particular, considering its grass cutting season and the outside chores and projects are starting to pile up.

It’s been nice to spend some down time with the kids.  Abby’s road-race on Friday night and shooting clays with Matt and his buddies.  Matt and I did take some time today to get a little work completed down at the barn.  I jumped on the big tractor and dragged the riding rink to knock down the weeds and Matt jumped on the mower and cut the grass.

Tomorrow we hit the river for a couple of days fishing.  I can’t wait to get out there and snag a few trout.  Who knows, maybe we’ll have a pan full of fish about this time tomorrow.  Maybe I’ll take a few pictures to share with you…

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Chris....

    First of all, I am envious of you and the nice weather you are experiencing. Leaving work today, I was greeted with a mixture of rain and sleet. I am anxiously waiting for the warm weather to come and stay until the end of October.

    But my big question to you is……………..what is a riding rink? I know, my ignorance is showing but I always look for opportunities to learn something new.

    It sounds like you are having a wonderful time this week. From what I read, you seem to be doing things that bring you pleasure – way to go!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Anne, we are having fantastic weather. It has been absolutely beautiful here in Georgia. Of course, in about three or four months it will be 90 degrees with about 150% humidity… And yes I am spending most of my time doing things that I enjoy. I enjoy ANYTHING that takes me outside this time of year. Spring and Fall are my favorite times of year.

    To answer your question, a riding rink is also called a dressage area. It’s an area that is used for horse training that is free of rocks, grass and weeds. At least is supposed to be free of weeds :)… We board a few horses as a small side business. I added a picture this morning that shows a corner of it. I snapped the picture while I was on the tractor. I actually tried to add it when I made this post but my Mac had an attitude when I tried to load it earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    When I read your explanation on what a riding rink is, I realized that at first I thought it was some sort of tool. So when I went back to read your initial post with a new understanding, I realized how silly I must sound. I can’t stop laughing at myself – I have come to the conclusion that I have spent too much time in the suburbs. Oh lordy, life does have its humorous moments – even at my own expense. By the way, the picture helps a lot too.

    I have been in Georgia in the springtime. It is wonderful. There is an earthy smell with all the flowers blooming, the trees budding; basically the ground waking back up – I love it!!! As kids, we drove down south every spring break to visit our grandparents who lived in North Carolina. To this day, I always get a strong urge to take a road trip around Easter (go figure). It is funny how those types of memories can still be so strong after all these years.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete