About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Little Miss Can't Be Wrong








One of the last things that I think I need to teach my kids is how to be financially mature.  While I believe it may be one of the last things, I think it’s one of the most important.  Even with the world that we live in today.  A world that seems to think that it is owed something and if you get in trouble, so what, someone will come and bail you out.



That’s what I am struggling to help "baby girl" understand at this point.  I have over the past year or so, found that my constant hovering and advise in this area has been seen as just a nuisance.  Every time I’ve spoken on this topic I can see her eyes roll back in her head and then I know what I will hear next.  I know that I will hear that dreaded comment.  The one that has haunted me since middle school “I know daddy”.  That statement cuts me to the bone and sends chills up my neck.  That comment just drives me up the stinking wall “I know daddy”.  Well if you know, why do I have to talk about it so dang much??


So I stopped…  I finally gave in and let her run free without adult supervision.  Go little one, go spend freely… Show me how smart you are… show me how superbly you can swipe that little plastic card through the scanners at Target, Wal-Mart, Bulldog Sports and every fast food joint from Watkinsville to Milledgeville.  Show me how you “I know daddy”!


So how did that work out?  Not so fricking well…  I looked yesterday for the first time in about a month and found that her spending had spiraled out of control.  I think her shopping is her new hobby or even her drug or choice.


Seriously sweet heart, Target called and wants to know if you would like them to set a sleeping cot for you in the stockroom!!  Since you have basically lived there for the last month, why not??


Anyhow, I digress… 


We have had a couple of text conversations and one or two not so cordial discussions.  The crying is over and she is ready to sit down and talk about how to get this under control.  She’s a smart girl and I saw this coming so I am ready.  Tonight we will have dinner and talk.  I am armed with plenty of experience and patients.  I think I will start with the Need vs. Want lecture and see how things go from there.  As for me, I am going to sit down and read “Rich Dad Poor Dad” this weekend and garner some much needed guidance for myself.  Wish me luck as she truly inherited her Mothers stubbornness and tenacity.  Fine traits to have at times, but this is not one of those times!

No comments:

Post a Comment