About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Baby Steps

Coming home Thursday night I found a little surprise.

On the ceiling just above the sink in the kitchen I saw that unmistakable sign of a roof leak. It's been raining here for what seems to be for the last week. Of course the first thing I did was climb up into the attic to see what was going on. Sure enough, just what I thought, the old rubber boot around one of the vent stacks was leaking. Thankfully, it is small and can be cured with just a bit of caulking. However, I am taking it as fair warning and getting quotes for a new roof.

When Lisa and I purchased this house we knew there was a number of things that needed to be done. Being capable in all forms of construction and carpentry it went without saying that I was going to tackle most of the jobs myself. The roof included... So, I find it difficult to hire out the work. It was all I could do just to call a couple of guys to give me quotes on the job. It pains me to no end to hire work like this out. Unfortunately, I just have to face the fact that I don't have the time and have to keep my eye on other things.

Abby was kind enough to come over and bring me some lunch Friday. She knew I was stressed out by the turn of events and came by to take my mind off things. It was good to have her come by for a little while and take my mind off of things. She has her own unique way of helping me put things into perspective. After Lisa's wreck, Abby would not dare drive hardly anywhere. Just the thought of driving somewhere new drove her to tears. My counsel to her at that time was to "take baby steps". I told her to just go a little further with each try and to "take baby steps" toward eventually driving wherever she needs to. It made a lot of sense to her and now she, of course, goes anywhere and everywhere. Her counsel to me was the same she just said, "baby steps daddy, baby steps".

The weekend has flown by and I feel like I have been working to make up ground all weekend. I even went to our early church service this morning in hopes of being more productive today. While that helped, there is still a growing list of things that I need to and want to get done. While there is always next weekend, I am sure that I will be stuck spending precious time with roofers. With hurricane season well underway I am sure that more rain is on the way. I best take a baby step and hire one of these roofers before things get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment