About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Parenting 101.2

Back to my discussion about parenting. Like I said in my last entry, it’s a little harder being a parent on your own when you have had the support of someone else for as long as you can remember.

Case in point…

Abby made a mistake Monday it was nothing earth shattering nor anything that will scar us for life. Just a mistake that many of us have made ourselves. Well, she finally came by the house last night. She was not in the door two minutes when I asked her about it. Big mistake… My mistake… Things went down-hill pretty fast and she made a bee line out the door and headed off to the sanctuary of her apartment. Apparently she had beat herself up enough over the last day or so and was in no mood to hear a lecture from daddy.

If Lisa had been around she would have warned me not to do that. She would have cautioned me to at least let her get in the door and say hello and whatnot before I jumped her about the mistake. Who knows, if I had just kept my mouth shut for about ten minutes she might have brought it up herself. Not me… Not Mr. Dad… I jumped right in there and wanted to discuss and cuss it. Big mistake dummy…

Hind sight is truly 20-20… I did the right thing and sent her an apology this morning. Low and behold she also apologized. We are going to have dinner together tonight and then knock out some shopping that I have been putting off. I suppose I am not going through anything every other Dad is going through I’m just doing it by myself when I thought that I was going to have my backup with me.

My role as a father has been static up until the last two years and in the last two years it has changed, changed and changed again. It has changed so much so fast that I have had a lot of trouble keeping up with it. I am trying to keep up with it but sometimes it’s like trying to put on wet socks! You know how it’s supposed to work but you can’t just pull them on like you always have done. That’s how it is, I know how to be a parent but I just have to keep changing so that it I can get it to fit the stages that Abby is moving through at what seems to be lighting speed.

I once told my Dad that he was an idiot until I turned 30 and then overnight he became the smartest person in the world. I can only hope that it does not take Abby as long as it took me.

I wonder if being a parent is covered by the Geneva convention or considered a harsh interrogation technique???

No comments:

Post a Comment