About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

No More Coffee!!!

So often folks tell me what a great job I am doing and how much of an inspiration I am to them and others. One’s head could grow quite big from such a cult fan following. However, I don’t think that I have earned the praise that is so kindly given. To me, I am just doing what must be done.

Yes, I have experience a devastating loss and yes it has been truly one of the most difficult times of my life. However, let’s face it, I have one “grown” child that has moved out and is holding her own at this point. I have one in high school that is now a driver and can get himself around. They both are good kids with a solid head and good hearts. They give me little if any trouble. Granted I am stretched a bit thin at times trying to take care of all the mom stuff and still not let my dad stuff suffer too much. However, all in all, I could have much more on my plate.

All I have to do is look around just a little to see how much more others have on their plates. Plates, heck for some it’s more like a platter full. If you have been reading much of my ramblings here, you know my motto these days is “things could always be worse”. There are many out there that have it much worse. I don’t have to look very far... I have an employee who had a daughter that just died. The daughter was a single mother that just had a baby about a month ago. The employee also lost her mother to cancer this past year. The father of the child is nowhere to be found. Now here is this lady that is almost 45 taking on the responsibility of a newborn baby. When this baby is 18 she will be 63. This is the one that will deserve the praise not me.

We have a family friend that has been diagnosed with ALS. She has two wonderful daughters that are far too young to be without their mother. There is, I am afraid, too much of a chance that she may not be with them much longer. Shane her husband will no doubt be devastated and broken. He will be the one that will need and deserve the praise.

So, no, I really don’t feel like I am doing anything that magnificent or difficult at this point. This is a far cry from where I was two years ago. Two years ago I thought that I had the world on my shoulders. Turns out it was not the world but just a tiny portion of it. I have no doubt that two years from now I might even wish that I had the kids back at home needing me very much.

On a darker note... I am so bummed out... They closed the only Starbucks in Madison where I work. I drove past it every night on the way home and on some nights boy has it been a life saver!! No longer can I sip on hot strong coffee on the way home! Color me crushed and sleepy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment