About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

We’re Getting There


Saturday marks the two year point in our life without Lisa.

The past two years have been a rollercoaster ride of emotion and changes.

With September here, as you can imagine, I have been doing a lot of thinking about where we have been, where we are, and where we are going. I can’t help but think about all the trips that we have taken with the kids over the years and I keep coming back to the well know phrase “Are We There Yet”. My response was always, “We’re Getting There”. That always drove the kids crazy. After a while, as she got older, Abby would hear Matt ask the inevitable question “Are We There Yet” and before I could reply I would hear her, from the back seat, say in a questionable tone “We’re Getting There”.

That’s kind of where I think we are these days, “We’re Getting There”… We have made great strides over the last two years but yeah, we are still “Getting There”. We all three still have our days or even weeks, but overall, “We’re Getting There”. I also think overall we have done pretty well. Sure we have made mistakes, or at least I have, but nothing that horribly bad.

Thinking about the first six months after the accident really puts things in perspective for me. I was a mess back then, a nervous wreck. Don’t get me wrong, I still have my battles and problems but in comparison to back then I am in pretty good shape. My ups seem to last a lot longer and my downs seem to come and go a lot faster these days and for that I am very grateful.

I suppose time does heal all wounds… or at least lets a scab form over them.

For now I remain positive and try to look to the future. I look forward to what life has in store for me and the kids.

Today Abby reminded me that last year on the 12th we all three got dressed up and went out for a nice dinner alone. She wanted to know if we could do that again this year. I think that’s what we will do again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment