About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Monday, August 3, 2009

RIF

I am glad to have today behind me. I worked through a RIF (reduction in force) within our very small salaried staff today. I have been working with two of the affected people for over 15 years. One of them went into labor with her last child while sitting in my office. We have been through a lot together but this is the first time that I have had to go through this with this staff. It was a difficult day, more difficult for them I am sure. I thought for sure that would vomit right in the middle of one meeting. My hands shook and my stomach wrenched. I worked though it without and incident, however. I can only imagine how the affected people felt and still feel. This is always a difficult process no matter who it involves but these are the folks that I work the closest to on a daily basis. We know each others families, I know their spouses, children and in some cases parents. I have visited them in hospitals, sponsored the kids in sporting activities and let them poor out their problems to me time and time again. I have counseled with them in everything from supervisory skills to money management, marriage and college plans. We have shared each other triumphs and tragedies. I have been to weddings and funerals with them and seen them at the birth of their children. It is hard to hurt them like this. Each of them went home tonight without a job in one of this countries worst economic downturns. While I am sure that they will survive and maybe even find something better, I am sure that they are hurting tonight.

I am exhausted, both physically and mentally. The kids are off to Six Flags with our church children's group. So I am alone tonight. It sure would be nice to have Lisa here tonight to encourage me and to remind me that things happen for a reason. It would be nice to have her here to remind me that while I have a tough job tomorrow, I do have a job. It would be nice just to have her here tonight.

Tomorrow will most likely not be any better. I will start with the hourly group tomorrow and I feel just a strongly about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment