About Me

My photo
Watkinsville, Georgia, United States
We lost my beautiful wife of 20 years on 9/12/07. Lisa was my world she was my everything and now she is gone. We are learning to live without Lisa now. I say we because I am not alone. My children are stuck in this mess with me. These are my notes, my vent, my way of letting you all know that we are doing well (some days). This is for myself, my friends and my family that want to know how we are doing and what we are up to. Along the way I hope this might also help someone else who has been dealt a similar hand.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Running Late


What a great way to start what will be a very busy week. I overslept nearly two and a half hours. I can count on one hand how many times I have been late for work over the past twenty years. Of course I always had my back up. If I ever rolled over and turned the alarm clock off, Lisa would be sure to kick me in the tail and roll me out of the bed in time to get to work. Now my only back up is the snooze alarm. However, when you hit the off button instead of the snooze button it don't work too well. Anyhow, I jumped up and got to work only about an hour and a half late. I suppose I could have gotten there a tad bit earlier if I had not stopped at Starbucks on the way. Hey, I have to have morning coffee and it has to be strong enough peel the stripe off a skunk.

Manufacturing is a strange beast that can turn on a dime. Lisa often had trouble understanding it, after all she was a teacher. The private sector and the public sector are at times a world apart. When I walked out of my office on Thursday I was saddled with news that I would have to return to work today prepared to layoff about 11 more employees. Some of these folks I have worked with for about 15 years. We have watched each others children grow up. One of the women even went into labor sitting in my office about 12 years ago. As you can image, I had a huge cloud hanging over me most of the weekend. Maybe oversleeping this morning was my mind telling me that I did not want to face this issue today. Low and behold, when I finally got to work and delivered my boss his cup of coffee ( I'm not an idiot, of course I am not going to walk into work late with a cup of Starbucks and not have one for my boss) I was told that things had changed. Not only do we not have to layoff additional people, we will be calling back to work approximately 25 of the 50 we already have on layoff. Of course, we need them yesterday! I'm going to need more Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment